Shooting, Hunting & Firearms Training Articles
The following articles and information about hunting, shooting, gun training, shooting ranges etc. have either been written by Andrew Venables or are about the WMS Steel Challenge firearms training facility.
Please contact us if you would like to submit an article for inclusion.
- Shooting in Wales
- Lamping Safety
- Mastering the Basic Positions for Rifle Shooting
- Long Range Rifle Shooting - Theory into Practice
- Shooting Tips - Dry Firing
- Shooting Tips - Barrel cleaning, medium calibre rifles 2000 to 3000fps
- Shooting Tips - Avoiding excessive carcase damage when shooting game
Interesting observations about shooting by Andrew Venables .............
- If it seems a bit too far away, its probably much too far away!
- An average chest shot may lose you a couple of pounds of venison, a less than perfect head shot may lose you the whole animal
- Perfect theories are best left on the bench at the range, sound practices are what you go hunting with.
- Going to Africa? Take the biggest gun you can shoot really well.
- Ears muffs over a woolly hat are not doing their job! Pardon? I SAID EAR…
- Sound moderators are the best thing in rifle shooting since the bullet!
- Going stalking? Use a hunting bullet at modest velocity, not a paper puncher at blind, deafen and burn!
- No hunter ever needed a scope over 6 power to make the shot, think about it.
- If you are dialling or holding off for elevation and wind, youre not hunting youre just shooting. Shoot targets, hunt game.
- You are only as safe as your next safety check makes you.
- If it’s a gun and youre holding it, treat it like its loaded at all times.
- Things that you eat are worth shooting once, things that eat you are worth shooting at least twice.
- If you cant do it on targets nine out of ten times, don’t try it on game once.
- Kit and brand association doesn’t make you a good shot, experience and practice does.
- Want to know how it is? Ask an old hunter with an old rifle and ask loud!
- Armchair experts are best answered with two words: “Show me?”
- Gun related web forums reflect opinions, for facts go shooting.
All good rifle shooting facilities should include the following:-
- Safe People
- Safe Practice
- Safe Kit
- = Safe Shooting Range!